It is of two parts:
Part one of this position statement focuses on ‘immune function and exercise’ and part two on ‘maintaining immune health’.
Part one: “immune function and exercise”
Part one provides a brief introduction and history followed by sections on:
- Respiratory infections and exercise;
- Cellular innate immune function and exercise;
- Acquired immunity and exercise;
- Mucosal immunity and exercise;
- Immunological methods in exercise immunology;
- Anti-inflammatory effects of physical activity;
- Exercise and cancer, and finally,
- “omics” in exercise.
Part two: ‘maintaining immune health’
Part two of the position statement includes sections on:
Nutritional countermeasures to exercise-induced immune perturbations;
Effects of stress on immune function;
Sleep disruption and immune function;
Environmental extremes and the immune response to exercise and finally,
Prevention and treatment of common infections.