Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI) tissue imaging mass spectrometry is used for probing and analyzing the spatial arrangement of a wide range of molecules, including proteins, peptides, lipids, drugs, and metabolites, directly in thin slices of tissue.
In the field of proteomics, the technology avoids tedious and time-consuming extraction and fractionation steps classically required for sample analysis. MALDI imaging mass spectrometry is increasingly recognized as a powerful method for clinical proteomics, particularly in cancer research.
The technology has particular potential for the:
– discovery of new tissue biomarker candidates,
– classification of tumors,
– early diagnosis or prognosis,
– elucidating pathogenesis pathways, and
– therapy monitoring.
Over recent years, MALDI imaging mass spectrometry has been used for molecular profiling and imaging directly in male and female reproductive tissues.
The following link will review some of the recent publications in the field, addressing a range of issues covering embryo development, gene expression product profiling during gametogenesis, and seeking and identifying biomarkers of reproductive cancers.
This review was published in Biology of Reproduction, March 1, 2012 vol. 86 no. 374
The wealth of advances in mass spectrometry imaging will inevitably attract biologists and clinicians as the advantages and power of this technology become more widely known. This review will also discuss bottlenecks and the many technical issues that remain to be resolved before laboratories in the field can adopt the technology.
Lets foresee that MALDI imaging mass spectrometry will have a major impact in reproductive research by opening new avenues to the understanding of various molecular mechanisms and the diagnosis of reproductive pathologies.
Review at: biolreprod
- MRI Combined with Imaging Mass Spectrometry Visualizes Proteins Produced During Inflammation (medgadget.com)
- Mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) identified proteomic biosignatures of breast cancer in proximal fluid (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- Detection of the Heterogeneous O-Glycosylation Profile of MT1-MMP Expressed in Cancer Cells by a Simple MALDI-MS Method (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- The current state of Mass Spectrometry-based proteomics and its translational applications in studies of protein biomarkers (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- Mass Spectrometry Market Thoroughly Analyzed in New In-Demand Biopharm… (biotechblog.com)
- Imaging The Inflammatory Response (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Lipids in the Spotlight (the-scientist.com)
- Tag-team imaging spots infection in 3D (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Finding new research frontiers in a single cell (biologynews.net)