This article was published in Clin Chem. 2012 Oct 24. by Taguchi A, Hanash SM. Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle, WA.
PURPOSE: To predict and monitor treatment response and disease recurrence.
INSTRUMENTATION: Mass spectrometry (MS) instrumentation
REASON TO USE MS: Because it has advanced sufficiently to allow the discovery of protein alterations directly in plasma across no less than 7 orders of magnitude of protein abundance. Moreover, the use of proteomics to harness the immune response in the form of seropositivity to tumor antigens has the potential to complement circulating protein biomarker panels for cancer detection. The depth of analysis currently possible in a discovery setting allows the detection of potential markers at concentrations of less than 1 μg/L. Such low concentrations may exceed the limits of detection of ELISAs and thus require the development of clinical assays with exquisite analytical sensitivity. Clearly the availability for discovery and validation of biospecimens that are highly relevant to the intended clinical application and have been collected, processed, and stored with the use of standard operating procedures is of crucial importance to the successful application of proteomics to the development of blood-based tests for cancer.
The realization of the potential of proteomics to yield blood biomarkers will benefit from a collaborative approach and a substantial investment in resources.
- Mass spectrometry (LC-MS/MS) identified proteomic biosignatures of breast cancer in proximal fluid (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- The current state of Mass Spectrometry-based proteomics and its translational applications in studies of protein biomarkers (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- New Noninvasive Test for Colorectal Cancer Shows Promise (InnovationToronto.com)
- MALDI Imaging Mass Spectrometry: A Promising Technique (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- Mass spectrometry imaging for clinical diagnostics (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- Moon Shots Program – one which we intend to win – to convert knowledge into tests, devices, drugs and policies for the benefit of needy (tginnovations.wordpress.com)
- Early Detection of Malignant Pleural Mesothelioma in Asbestos-Exposed Individuals with a Noninvasive Proteomics-Based Surveillance Tool (plosone.org)
- Quantitative Proteomic Analysis of Niemann-Pick Disease, Type C1 Cerebellum Identifies Protein Biomarkers and Provides Pathological Insight (plosone.org)