The number of advertised biotech and pharma sector jobs remained stable through the fourth quarter of 2012, compared with the previous quarter (Nat. Biotechnol. 30, 1149, 2012). There was a noticeable increase in LinkedIn’s total job listings for the top 25 biotech companies (568 up from 351) and top 10 pharma companies (586 up from 468), whereas the other databases tracked returned similar totals from the third quarter (Tables 1 and 2).
Notable operations /expansions during the quarter include
1. Novo Nordisk‘s announcement of a $100-million facility to be built in Beijing. The new facility will employ 130–200 people.
3. Novartis announced it will build a $500-million facility in Singapore to support clinical and commercial production of biologics. Construction will begin this quarter, with completion slated for the end of 2016.
4. Sanofi announced it will restructure its French operations, which it said could lead to the loss of about 900 positions by 2015. Under the restructuring, the company’s Montpellier site will become a strategic center focused on development, whereas its Vitry/Alfortville and Chilly-Mazarin/Longjumeau sites will increase research activities. The plan also includes a new global center of excellence for infectious diseases in Lyon.
5. Merck & Co. will relocate its global headquarters in 2014 to Summit, New Jersey, as part of the company’s ongoing program. The approximately 2,000 employees at the current Whitehouse Station headquarters will move to either the Summit facility or other nearby facilities.
6. Other notable fourth-quarter downsizings within the life sciences industry are shown in Table 3.
- Expect bold moves in the biopharma industry in 2013 (fiercebiotech.com)
- Lots of biotech M&A expected in 2013, but it may be a seller’s market (bizjournals.com)
- Major Revenue Losses From Patent Expirations Forces Big Pharma Companies to Look to the Biotech Industry for Replacements (sys-con.com)
- SOUTH SHORE INSIDER: Funding still a big hurdle for biotech firms (patriotledger.com)
- AstraZeneca shakeup pushes research chief to top of restructured MedImmune (fiercebiotech.com)
- 2 Biotech Stocks With Upcoming Catalysts (seekingalpha.com)
- Biomedical briefing (tginnovations.wordpress.com)