Ayyagari Sambasiva Rao (popularly known as A.S.Rao) (1914–2003) was an eminent Indian scientist and founder of the Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL), Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India. Rao represented India at many international conferences on scientific development including UN conferences on peaceful uses of atomic energy. He also served on the editorial and advisory boards of many scientific journals including many international journals of repute. Recognition of his services to the nation has brought Rao many awards and honours:
- Padma Shri Award in 1960,
- Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award for Engineering Sciences in 1965,
- Doctor of Science degree, honoris causa, from Andhra University in 1969,
- Padma Bhushan in 1972,
- Fellow of Indian Academy of Sciences in 1974,
- FICCI Award for outstanding achievement in Engineering in 1976, *National design Award from Institution of Engineers (India) in 1977,
- Outstanding Scientist Award from A.P. Academy of Science in 1988, Prof.
- Nayudamma Memorial Gold Medal in 1989.
- A.S.Rao Nagar (near ECIL) in Secunderabad was named in his honour
On 16th November 2014 a Special Postal stamp was released on the occasion of his birth centenary. This special cover was released in his memory by Postal Department and the chief guest Hon’ble Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu, Union Minister for Urban Development and Parliamentary Affairs has released the special stamp to the public. The Chief Postmaster General Sri. B. V. Sudhakar, IPoS, was a guest of honour. Other Hon’ble members of legislates councils, Parlament and Rajya Sabha were present. The celebration was Presided by Hon’ble MLA Sri. N.V. S. S. Prabhakar.
During this special celebration, I had the opportunity to meet with Hon’ble Union Minister for Urban Development and Parliamentary Affairs Sri. M. Venkaiah Naidu garu and handed over hard copy of the requisition regarding the Swachh Bharat Awareness Fund that I shared with you all online on this platform. Lets hope that the Hon’ble minister will find time to review our suggestions and once again will brain-storm on the subject matter.